This guide explains how to transfer com and .uk domains from HostGator to Lyrical Host. (.uk domains include .co.uk, .org.uk, .me.uk).
Please note that for a .com domain name, you should have at least 7 days left before it's due to expire to transfer it, and for a .uk domain name 48 hours is recommended.
1. Please check your domain contact information is correct:
Please also note all correspondence regarding the transfer will go to the administrative contact.
- Go to https://portal.hostgator.com/domain/manage and log in.
- By clicking on a domain name, you can get to the Domain Overview which will show more details about the selected domain.
- Click Contact Info from the left hand menu. You can then change the administrative contact information from this section.
2. Unlock your domain:
- Go to https://register.hostgator.com and log in.
- Click on the Manage Domains tab.
- Click on the desired domain name to get to the Domain Overview which will show more details about the selected domain.
- Click the Domain Locking tab on the left-hand menu.
- On the Domain Locking page, select the Locking OFF radio button to unlock the domain, or select the Locking ON radio button to lock the domain.
- Click Save Domain Locking to save your changes.
3. Transfer any .uk domain name:
- Unlike .com domain names, .uk domains do not require an EPP Code.
- To transfer a .uk domain name you will need to contact HostGator Support and provide them our IPS Tag which is STACK.
4. Obtaining an authorisation code:
- Log in to your domain management page at portal.hostgator.com/domain/manage
- Once you're logged in, click Manage Domains.
- You will see a list of domains that you have registered through HostGator. Click the one for which you would like the EPP code.
- Under Overview, you will see EPP code in the list of details for your domain name. This will be the EPP code you need (This is not required for .uk domains).
5. Initiate the transfer by ordering the transfer through lyricalhost.com:
- Select 'Domains' at the top of the site.
- Select 'Transfer in a Domain' on the left hand side.
- Enter your domain name and the authorisation code (This is not required for .uk domains).
- Select 'Add to Cart'.
- This will charge you the equivalent of one years renewal of the domain, as we have to renew the domain during transfer.
Don't worry - you will not lose any time you already have left on the domain, instead you will obtain an extra year on top of the expiry date.
Please note the domain transfer will take up to five full days to complete. Keep an eye on your emails as any information will be sent to the Administrative contact.